Candidates for Lap Band Surgery in Mexicali / Mexico
In order to determine whether the Lap Band System is the best treatment for you, Mexicali bariatric surgeon Dr. Alberto Aceves will evaluate your situation based on several criteria, including:
1) You are between 18 and 56 years old.
2) You weigh at least twice your ideal weight
You weigh at least 100 lbs. (45 kilos) more than your ideal weight.
3) You have been overweight for more than 5 years.
4) Your serious attempts to lose weight have had only short-term success.
5) You are not suffering from any other disease which may have caused you to be overweight.
6) You are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle, and to continue being monitored by the specialist treating you.
7) You do not drink alcohol in excess.
Additionally, some patients may not be good candidates for the Mexico Lap Band procedure if they have a “sweet tooth,” i.e., someone who eats large quantities of sweet foods or frequently drinks milkshakes or other high-calorie liquids will not do well with the Lap Band System.
The Lap-Band System is not generally placed in individuals with a Body Mass Index of less than 40 unless health problems (“co-morbidities”) related to obesity are present. If you weigh slightly less, you still may be considered if you are suffering from serious health problems associated with severe obesity. Your surgeon may have additional selection criteria, so do not hesitate to ask him or her about it.
Dr. Aceves will decide to perform the Lap Band operation only if he is convinced that you understand the problems your excess weight is causing, if you have sufficient knowledge of your responsibilities with regard to a new eating pattern and lifestyle and if you are prepared to play an active part in reducing your weight. He will also want to be sure that you are well-informed about the advantages, disadvantages and risks.
The Lap Band System is not appropriate for all patients. You should not have this procedure if:
1) You have an inflammatory disease of the gastrointestinal tract, such as ulcers, esophagitis or Crohn's disease.
2) You have severe cardiopulmonary disease.
3) You have esophageal or gastric varices or other conditions that could cause bleeding in the esophagus or stomach.
4) You have an abnormal esophagus, stomach, or intestine.
5) You have a large hiatal hernia.
6) You are pregnant.
7) You are addicted to alcohol or drugs.
8) You have an infection or need a procedure that could contaminate the surgical area during surgery.
9) You use aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs often.
10) You are unable or unwilling to comply with the dietary restrictions required with this procedure.
11) It is known or suspected that you may have an allergic reaction to materials in the device or if you have a pain intolerance to implanted devices.
12) You are emotionally unstable.
13) You or members of you family have been diagnosed with an autoimmune connective tissue disease such as systemic lupus erythematosus or scleroderma, or if you have symptoms.
About Mexicali Bariatric Center
Dr. Alberto Aceves is an experienced Lap Band and gastric sleeve surgery surgeon. He is dedicated to helping all of his patients achieve their ideal weight so that they can enjoy a long, healthy life. He is also pleased to perform revision surgery in Mexico for patients who have had an unsuccessful weight loss procedure in the past. Dr. Aceves also performs other weight loss procedures, including duodenal switch in Mexico.